This year Lumenaut team accomplished the required optimizations for the “Lumenaut Pool Manager”, the tool to distribute Stellar inflation at a rate that can be delivered as fast as possible while leaving Lumenaut with enough buffer during the payment week to address incidents. We take into account the network load and the fact that we share it with everyone else, we’re mindful of the stress we can cause and try to do our best to throttle/optimize our usage of it. Our theoretical performance goals stated last year have been largely surpassed and we are confident that we have plenty of room to grow in order to serve a larger community than what we have today.
We accomplished all of our previous roadmap except for the online store (for now🙂). Also, due to the possible removal of inflation from the network, we're on purpose postponing two points from our previous roadmap: Rerouting feature (users can choose another address to receive their inflation and maintain original address balance untouched) and Donation feature (automatically donate percentages of the weekly inflation payout to a list of non-profit companies or services on the network). Our donation feature was privately tested but it will require more developments to be used in public network.
There are two reasons to postpone those features:
- We don't know which will be the state of inflation in the long term and we want to focus on other stuff such as side projects on Stellar network;
- There are already two projects with our original idea of Donation feature so we recommend using those since they focus on those specific implementations.
For the donations to non-profit please check Lumenthropy, Daniel is doing a stupendous job and we believe his implementation on helping adoption to Stellar network is everything we envisioned, he is doing a lot of work on that end and most are not visible.
For the donations to services/projects on the Stellar network please check Lobstr Pool, Gleb and Dmitri are doing a fine job maintaining one of the best wallets on Stellar network. They're stellar friends and if you don't want to receive your inflation we recommend that you use their pool so your inflation can be donated to projects developed on Stellar network.
We believe Lumenthropy and Lobstr are covering the donation feature to a good extent for both non-profits and Stellar projects, we don't want to saturate the network with extra work, instead we want to maintain Lumenaut Pool simple for now and to support those two projects. Check them out!
One of the future goals is to support the Stellar ecosystem in more fronts, while still improving the already offered inflation pool and allow users to receive 100% of their inflation, at least until inflation continues to be available in the Stellar network. Thus, future goals can be split into three sections: Platform and Inflation Pool.
Without entering into too many details, some members of Lumenaut are developing a public space where users can register an account and contribute with content divided into various sections. This platform will be a parent or sister project and is already being worked on. More info about it will be released at the proper time. This is some context, so you know that if inflation is removed from the Stellar network, "Lumenaut" will just not disappear.
2) Inflation Pool
- Forensic Tooling and Incident management. Historically, when something goes wrong during a payment run, we have to dig deeper into the transaction logs, identify the causes of the failures, fix them and build a new incremental payment plan so that every legitimate voter receives their inflation in a timely manner and in an amount that is correct. The development of forensic tooling and automation for this process is an ongoing work, and it currently allows us to react and address issues within 56 hours of the incident, depending on the situation. As times goes on protocols, core services, and SDKs evolve, old issues are addressed, and new ones arise. This is part of the job and our aim is to keep delivering on a sound promise that inflation will be both correct and delivered in time before the next payment run and as quick as possible.
- Pool Manager 2.0. We’ve learned a lot of what can go wrong during a heavy task such as managing hundreds of thousands of payment operations in bulk, and our understanding of the problem space has grown past the initial architecture of the tool. While core components are solid and reliable, the maintainability of the tool has degraded and would benefit a complete rewrite, ideally integrating the Forensic Tools in one neat all-purpose inflation management solution capable of self-recovering from errors.
- A new architecture. On our TODO list for the Pool Manager v2.0, there is a decoupling of the “Pool Manager” software into a remote execution engine (run as a service on the machine hosting stellar core and horizon) and a “dumb terminal” application that can interface with the remote engine via a restful API. This will allow us to manage network usage and throttling to a whole new level, by not requiring 100% human attendance during the payment process, while providing us with a sound monitoring and alert system and real-time error handling for cases that currently still require manual intervention.
- Keep up with the bleeding edge. We strive to maintain our stellar node setup in tip-top shape, support all the latest features, protocol upgrades (both on the server side and the tooling side) and top-notch security practices so that every week, when we snapshot the voters data, we are confident that we’re delivering the exact amounts and that everything will go as smoothly as it is made possible by our cumulative experience and work on the systems administration and custom software development.
What's Lumenaut Pool?
Lumenaut's first product is an inflation pool with no fees, we advocate for the community and the pool is the first public and working pool that's 100% free for users. Lately, Poloniex also released their inflation pool which supposedly is also 100% free. However, you need to send your tokens to the exchange. If you're not a trader you shouldn't leave your crypto in exchanges, if you're a trader then may not even have Lumens at distribution time since you may be trading them at that specific time. With Lumenaut Pool users can safely claim their weekly airdrop of Lumens on the Stellar network from their own address/wallet, which they fully control. Your keys, your crypto.
How does Lumenaut Pool help?
Inflation is a hot topic, there are advantages and disadvantages on each approach - it depends on the need and path to move forward.
Without entering into much detail, because inflation is a topic on itself, a deflation system is potentially very damaging to an economy that wants to remain stable, it can lead to lower consumer spending and lower growth. When prices are falling, consumers are encouraged to delay purchasing at the hope prices will be cheaper in the future, leading to a squeeze on disposable incomes.
Lumenaut Pool helps the network's value by driving adoption because people have to hold Lumens to claim inflation, sustainability because people can fund themselves, value transfer because helps on price adjustment and goods to attain their real price, value of debt because reduces it where consumers are not encouraged to delay purchasing at the hope prices will be cheaper in the future, and wages with relative adjustments of sticky-down because people can spend to a certain extent. Independently of your position between inflationary or deflationary model, it's fair to say that having a free public inflation pool that everyone can use is an advantage.
After 1.5 years being a moderator on the Stellar subreddit I saw many users joining Stellar just because they wanted "to stake it" and saw Lumenaut Pool regarded as the second step to accomplish on Stellar network: the first one is to acquire Lumens and the second is to vote for inflation.
Who is using Lumenaut Pool?
Most users on Stellar network that receive inflation and that are not a bot address is voting for Lumenaut Pool. Regarding bad projects, we monitor our pool and we try to minimize the damage to the Stellar network, we successfully reduced from 500,000 bot addresses doing wash trading to less than 100,000. Regarding people, we have some known names, entities, and projects developed on Stellar voting for us and using our inflation airdrops to fund themselves or their projects. Regarding software, Lumenaut Pool has been recognized by Pedity, BlockEQ, Keybase, StellarX, Foxlet, White Wallet, amongst others - all of them have integrated Lumenaut Pool with the apps. We want to thank them for their support!
How can you help Lumenaut?
If you ever used Lumenaut Pool, you can help by considering this submission to SCF. That's it!